Saturday, September 1, 2007

An Easy Omega Source!

Hello transforming people!!! Phase Three Prism people know that my husband just decided to eat the Prism way about two weeks ago! He has extremely high blood pressure and cholesterol. I am so glad that he decided to change!!!

In Week Five and Six we received a great Prism handout of "Essential Fatty Acids and Beneficial Oils". I re-read it and discovered that many of my husband's cravings were due to a need for essential fatty acids which are Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9's. I also wanted a more natural way to be sure to get these great Omegas.

These Omegas moisturize the skin, nourish listless hair, and will help you say good-bye to brittle nails. They also lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart attack, protect arteries, help burn fat and help the body decrease fat production. They are also very helpful for people with high blood pressure and diabetes!

Nuts and seeds have been the easy answer!!! It is a tasty way to add Omegas into our daily food list!!! Two things to remember are that the nuts and seeds must be raw and they do their best work if eaten in the morning or earlier in the day. They can be found at the Fred Meyer Nutrition Center and probably at the Co-op.

The following has been very useful to us and perhaps for you, too.

Omega-3
Raw walnut 1/2 = 12 calories

Raw Brazil nut 1 = 23 calories

Raw pumpkin seeds 1/8 ounce = 20 calories


Omega-6
Raw pistachio nut 1 = 12 calories

Raw pine nuts 1 teaspoon = 17 calories

Raw sunflower seeds 1/8 ounce = 20 calories


Omega-9
Raw almonds 1 = 6 calories

Raw cashews 1 teaspoon = 31 calories

Raw shelled peanuts 1/2 teaspoon = 1/8 ounce = 22 calories


I combine one or so of the nuts or seeds from each Omega group a day and alternate the choices every day.

We are transforming!!!




2 comments:

Wally said...

Thanks for the info and thanks for the organized breakdown. I however am not nearly this organized and so I've been using a 3-6-9 oil supplement to make sure I'm not shorting myself. We haven't settled on one particular type yet. We've used Omega Nutrition, Udo's and Barlean's. I'm not sure I'll ever know if one brand is better than the other, but all seem to be working.
Monica first noticed that the dry skin on my knees was much improved and on the sickness side, I haven't experienced the unhealthy craving for KFC that I used to have. I would crave it right up until I ate it; then feel sick. :)

Anonymous said...

If those oils will cut out cravings for KFC and now Popeyes Chicken too I will way be trying that starting today! I have Udos and I have Barleans. I'm curious on the macadamia nut oil now too? Mikey, my mom, and I (Becky) will be adding in more and more healthy stuff as we go. It's kind of fun!