Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kale Chips

1 bunch of black kale (the narrow curly or wrinkly leaves work best)
1/2 tbsp coconut oil (depending on the size of the Kale bunch)

A garnish. I like salty, cheesy, garlicky flavors. I currently use Parma! Vegan parmesan: available in 2 flavors, plain or chipolte cayenne in the refrigerated section at the Food Co-Op. The 2nd is mildly spicy in my opinion. Garlic gold nuggets is also available in the spice section at the Food Co-Op.

You can also use fresh, grated parmesan or romano cheese which was part of the original recipe I learned.

Directions

Set oven at lowest temperature (my warm setting is 180 degrees and works well or perhaps use dehydrator, I haven't tried that)

Place coconut oil in a measuring cup and place in a warm oven until it is liquid. (It should be ready by the time you have the kale cleaned and cut)

Wash, dry and slice kale into bite sized strips. Cut out any heavy stems (bottom half)

Place cut kale in a salad bowl. Drizzle with coconut oil and toss thoroughly so that all leaves, including most of the back are lightly glistening with the oil.

Add your garnish and toss some more. Then lay out on a cookie sheet. I add more garnish on top at this point.

Place in warmed oven. It is usually ready in an hour or so. Check from time to time to see if it is crisp. It works best to have a single layer of kale, otherwise the top dries before the rest and may get overdone. Store at room temperature. I generally leave top open (as it is gone within a day or two)

0 comments: