Friday, May 4, 2007

Monica's thoughts on starting PRISM

Hello and welcome to the PRISM blog!

I first learned about PRISM from my sister in law Jennie who is into her 4th week of phase 1. I was impressed with the program when I heard some of the daily devotions from her PRISM study guide. They hit the nail on the head for me and with devotions that would hold me so incredibly accountable, I thought loosing weight would actually be a secondary benefit of the program.

So, after finding out that there is not an existing group in Ferndale, I looked into starting one. I did not however want to lead it. Fears & doubts crept in on how I'm the last person that should be leading others into this arena, after all cookies are my friend. Then it dawned on me how arrogant that line of thinking was when it would have less to do with me and more to do with God working through me. It's his strength I should be relying on, not mine.

Today (as I continued the struggle of fighting off those doubts and fears) I was listening to Praise radio and thought to myself, wouldn't that be an undeniable sign if they were talking about PRISM on the radio today? Well, they weren't, but they did have a speaker named Robbie Zacharias talking about Daniel. (Read Daniel 1:8-15) I missed the point of the actual lesson but what stood out to me was the part where it said Daniel refused to participate in the king's lavish feasts. Doing this ran the risk of his upsetting the king whom he was a captive of. The speaker went on to suggest that Daniel did not participate because he knew an uncontrolled appetite could ruin a person and that he belonged to Christ first, not the king. I think Daniel stood up for what he knew was right despite his surroundings.

Prism's motto is to transform yourself into the person God created you to be and no food is more important than that. I also think we need to be reminded of two things: Whose we are & that no one can serve two masters. In my mind that master can be anything that distracts you from God including an over indulgence in food.

I have never done PRISM before so I'll be learning with everyone else. It's a strict program, in fact, I believe Jennie's group has nicknamed it "prison." But I don't think we'll regret the decision to do it. I also have not had much experience in leading a group so I ask for your patience and forgiveness as we move forward. I hope that after the introductory class, if you decide to join, that we can encourage and hold each other accountable in this journey.

I created this blog for our Prism group here in Ferndale, but anyone wishing to sign in and offer a few words of encouragement or support is welcome. If you are interested in joining this PRISM group or would like more information about PRISM email me at wallacecabin@earthlink.net.

Thanks, Monica

2 comments:

Jennie said...

You can do it Monica! You will be great at it and you can call whenever you need to. Remember, with God all things are possible.

Christine said...

What a great beginning, Monica! Thank you for your encouragement, dedication and enthusiasm!
Did you know that May 28th is Memorial Day?
May the Lord bless you richly this week!